Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Kitchen... Day 2...

Having gotten what we need, we head back to the house.  We decide that it would probably be smart to do one side then the other.  Yeah, that way if something unforeseen happens the ENTIRE kitchen isn't torn up at once.  So far this is all working.

"Wait!" she says, "how about if we take the bottom ones out first.  That way they will be out of the way."

"BRILLIANT!" I said. "Great idea!"

We start happily taking down the cabinets.  Suddenly, my electric screwdriver runs out of charge. "No Electric Screw-Driver, WHY NOW!!" I lamented.

I take down the last one with the good old "Standard" screw-driver and put my electric one on the charger.

Wife, "You know my brother has one of those really good electric drills.  I bet he would let us borrow it."

Hating to have to borrow yet another tool I grudgingly say, "Yeah, I'll run over there.  I have to pick XYZ at Lowe's anyway."  She calls, all is set.

So I go over to get the tools from the wife's brother.  OK, not only does he have the screw driver, but a Skill-Saw and reciprocating saw in the little tool bag.  AWESOME!!  (I love tools, can you tell?)

I get back with the tools, "Man I'm glad she thought of these!" I think as we continue.  We quickly get the old cabinets down and out to the garage.  The new cabinets go in.  It looks great! Now we are moving along.


The Sink:

I've never liked dealing with plumbing.  I absolutely HATE the idea of missing something and having a leak that won't go away or worse be hidden until you have tremendous damage.  I knew that moving to 'Plan C' required me to do more than my swapping the faucet and drain.

I remove the old sink, drain, disposal AND this gigantic filter/expansion tank.  Then the fun starts. I go to remove the cabinet.  NO, can't do that.  Whoever installed this cabinet decided to arrange the pipe so that it's through the cabinet and then makes a 90-degree turn down where the valve is.

OK, I decide to turn the water to the house and just saw off the end of the pipe where the valves are to get the cabinet out.  (Yes, there was probably a better plan but isn't there always.)  OK, we are moving forward again.  We just can't use the bathroom.  Luckily for me, this house uses that plastic pipe (PVC) for it's plumbing.  Not the best pipe to use for plumbing but very durable and usable.  PLUS, I learned how to deal with this stuff growing up on a farm.  If it had been copper I would have been in a fix since I have yet to learn how to do that.  I get the old cabinet out and repair the water lines so we can put valves back onto the ends.  One little thing, have to wait 6 hours for the glue to totally set up...  We made it.  Not the most fun afternoon.

Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment