Monday, May 3, 2010

The Kitchen... Day 3..(Or, yes still working on it...)

OK, time to put the cabinets in on the other side of the kitchen.  Now being pros for putting in the other side, we boldly move forward.  We know as we put in the bottom cabinets we need to leave 24 and 1/4 inches for the dishwasher.

We put in the bit cabinet with the nice 36" drawer,  measured 24 1/4 inches and placed the cabinet for the sink and the small 9 in cabinet.  As we place the sink cabinet, we realize that it's ever so slightly off kilter (I'm told that's what the pros say).  Having had this problem before I pull out my 'bag-o-shims' and quickly tap in a shim to make the cabinet just right.  We reset the small 9 inch cabinet, also tapping in a small shim to make it all line up just perfectly.

Great, all cabinets are in.  On to the counter top.   Realize, due to our recent move our garage is still quite full.  I dig out the saw-horses and find just enough room to put the counter top onto them and still have 8 inches to stand in to cut.  Perfect.  So I go back into the kitchen and measure how far from the wall to where the sink would be centered.  I go and make a small mark on the bottom side of the counter top.  I go measure again. I double check.  (Can you tell I'm gun shy on cutting?)

We both go out to the garage.  "Honey, can you please double-check me?  We don't want to cut this wrong."  I show her my measurements, why I measured this way, blah blah...

"Yeah, that all seems right.....wait a minute!" She says.

"WHAT?" I say.

"OK, if we have this laying here up-side down, that end there would be by the wall right?" She asks.

"Yes, I think so." I reply.

"Then shouldn't the hole for the sink be over here?" she says trying not to hurt my manly pride.

"OH!  You are so right!!" I exclaimed, "I am SO glad I asked." 

Now, for those of you out there who may find this odd.  I won't say I'm a perfect husband.  But I have at least learned to ask my wife on certain things.  Plus, I think whatever pride I may have lost being wrong was MORE than made up for not having to go buy another 10 foot section of counter-top.  We re-measure, and double-check ourselves again.  Good.  I grit my teeth and make the cut.  Perfect.

From then on things go fairly smoothly.  I even was able to put the disposal in, and get all the drain pipes together with only 1 extra trip to the store.  On top of that, not one leak.  NONE.  I usually have to futz around with it for a couple of hours until I get it all right.

We have a 'working' kitchen.


1 comment:

  1. WOOT!!! Words cannot express the joy I feel for you right now!

    ReplyDelete