Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Woo-Hoo, the Library!!

Some of you may or may not know, but I'm a reader.  I. LOVE. TO. READ.  So after weeks of reading everything I had here at the house that was 'on my list', AND after several suggestions by wifey to check it out, I head down to the Goodnight Memorial Library here in town. 

Now, I haven't been to this library in years.  YEARS.  All my previous memories were of the massive card catalog on the bottom floor.  I even remember having a class on how to use it.  I thought I was so cool being able to just jot up to those cool little drawers and research what I wanted, then just walk right there.  Yeah, I guess I was a geek back then too.

Well, of course technology has made it's way to my little home-town library too.  I'm sure it's been there for years.  I haven't researched it yet (I'm sure it's somewhere on the link above), but I believe it was sometime around 2000.  The reason I say that is because all of the books I've checked out so far have mid to late 1999 as the last date stamped in that little 'check-out-card-holder-thingie' in the front cover.  No, I don't know the real name for it but you all know what I'm talking about.

I must say it's nice to have the technology there.  Searching for a book is so much easier with a quick database search provided by the in-house database.  And I also like knowing if a book is there or not when I go to look for it, not just that they have it. 

I've even done an "ILL", (Intra-Library-Loan) for those of you not up on the current library lingo.  I will admit that I too didn't know this until 5 minutes after I had done it and while we were in the car driving away wifey started talking about me doing the 'ILL' and I was like 'Wha???', then she explained it.  What can I say I'm sometimes not the 'sharpest knife'.

Anyway, it's nice to know we have this great resource here in town.  I'm sure I'll be using it A LOT.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the Goodnight!
    I for one miss the little "checkout-card-holder-thingie".

    ReplyDelete